Act as – if

What do you on a day, loaded with inhuman heaps of work (something more than 4 hours is ridiculously inhuman), piles on your personal and professional to- do list and anticipation of annoying yet unavoidable conversations\ moments with your friends, family and relatives?

Well, we all have different escape sequences to our rescue. Mine, is something which I call the “act as- if” day. So last Thursday, was the recent one. Here is what happened.

I started my day watching “Perfect Stranger” on my way to office and was already making plans for the week end. But to my dismay!  as soon as I reached office, I was asked to show off team spirit traits(of which I  boasted in my assessment) by helping to take off some work load, from my colleague.
My live voice (LV) said: “You moron,don’t test my patience. Why did you commit to more than you could deliver on your own?”
I said: “Sure! We are a team.”

Obviously I had no intension of working so I started to act as-if, I suddenly remembered getting an email last night from my panicked client asking for a quick presentation and how bad my tooth ache was today and had my cousins’ kids to take out in the evening.

I said: “In spite of all this, I will surely help you. Probably, I will give my lunch a miss and refuse my cousin too. After all, we are a team.

Poor him, he fell for my bait and was quite uneasy (you could see that on his face),came up to me and thanked me for my concern, but said he will put in extra hours over the weekend and finish it and that I need to take care of the tooth ache and forwarded me numbers of some dentists. Bang on! Act as if! So I enjoyed that day in a meeting room watching videos on Youtube about “How to apply mascara and eyeliner like a pro!”

In the evening I had stuffed myself with a yummylicious egg roll, which I think, is one of the best ways to kill time plying from Gurgaon to Delhi in the torturous traffic, but I had to avoid a family drama of not having dinner, in front of my relatives. So, I fudged a bit of Kajal, made a sad face to  my enthusiastic cousin who proclaimed “Didi aa gayai” [sister has come ]as soon as I got off my cab telling her that I had a super busy day and that my shoulders were sore, but I would cheer them up in the cards game. Result: I, was requested to sleep, with a steaming coffee cuppa and a nice shoulder massage. Devil me! I was rather amused, act- as if and everything is sorted .
Actually, there is quite a list, of such tricks:

1.      Miss, something from your regular make up,for example the kajal, or shabby-comb your hair and you are sure to get this from your boss “Why don’t you go home early? You need some rest it seems”.
2.     Tell your kin you would love to be with them, but for the work.

3.     Act-as if, you are already, at the designated meeting point (when you are running late that is), take a few names of the nearby landmarks and make the other person feel guilty that you are waiting.

4. .   Act –as if, you don’t want to sound greedy, to gulp down your colleague’s "lip smacking delicacy"(only they think so) and start asking for the recipe when you want to avoid the horrible thing they have dished out and ask you to try it.

5.     Act- as if you feel terrible, having lost what your friend gifted you, when you actually have passed it on(as a gift) to another.

 Well, these are great for fun and escape to the useless ranter of people and life ,but for those who really care for you , Act as- if you love them always! even if you are irritated or annoyed at times.


No comments:

Post a Comment