Life is - packing boxes



I like to strike conversations, even with strangers, albeit those who look interesting to me. Well here is what, goes behind this unusual title.
I met this elderly, interesting couple, while looking for a place to sit at the Delhi Airport food court. The delayed flight announcements were getting seemingly boring already and checking official email was not interesting me either. I saw the man typing something from his notes on a notepad and the wife reading a book. Well, yeah that was interesting about them. They were not expressing dismay over the delayed flight and bad weather but just keeping themselves busy with what they liked to do at leisure.
I had to talk, ofcourse! So I initiated the conversation and they told me they were Belgians, touring some parts of India. They were quite excited and happy when I helped them decide, the places they should visit. While the janta flocked to grab the refreshments the airlines was offering due to flight delays, this couple explained me passionately about their career. They are in to Social service and have a zest for life. To me, they felt connected, yet allowed each other the space to express their own views. The best part was that they did not complain about India in any manner, in fact they did not crib about anything! They were positive souls. Robert and Inge.
I knew, it would be interesting to know how they met (I would not consider asking the same question to an Indian couple, because of the obvious answer), well I thought, during Social service but still blurted out the question. It turned out that they met at a festival, where Robert claimed to be doing some strange and weird dancing, but she thought it was interesting, in the year 1977.“Twenty nine years ago”, she smiled.
They were visiting India the second time, because Robert decided to accompany his daughter this time, who was scheduled to arrive two days later.
Shopping is a must to be discussed when you have two ladies on the table! Well we were at it, and she exclaimed, “I wonder where I am going to keep the stuff that I keep buying (this time she was referring to the famous shawls from India), there are boxes at my place that I haven’t opened for years, and we are now shifting to a new place”. The husband with his amused smile ,raised brows and hands in the air, replied “You see life is all about packing boxes, you pack stuff, your memories ,laughter and sorrow and then years later unpack them “, you collect  while on the journey called Life!”.He said “Observe, if you like something, hold on, observe some more and then take it in your life Kitty”.
I smiled, got my stuff together, proceeding to board my flight, and scribbled my contact number on a piece of paper. They were really happy and much appreciated the gesture. Why I did that? I don’t know. I did not take their contact information. They are back next week in New Delhi, and we hope to meet. J.I packed a new box today!



9 comments:

  1. Yes life is indeed about packing boxes and moving on positively. I learnt this from my experience in US some two weeks ago, a meeting with a stranger during a flight delay and striking up a conversation, pouring out a heart to someone while fully knowing that the journey is too small to expect something and then listening to your heart and feeling hurt for a moment, the stranger made me learnt that being happy for the moment and not expecting too much is whatbis great about life so how do I correlate is like this.
    Enjoybthe moment and when the moment ends, pack it and move along, never expect the moment to last as it is not destined to last else it would not have been a moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liked it...

    Its my hobby to talk to strangers.. You get to meet a lot of interesting people...
    Actually people who are willing to talk to stranger are interesting most of the time, because they are do not live in the "SHELL"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. CapTain : I agree with u buddy! I mean within safe limits, it is always fun to interact with strangers :).Thanks for the read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. inspiring indeed!
    love the thought!
    wonderful narration too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! you are really brave to talk to strangers. Would never have the guts to do that and look at what i am missing out on.I am now inspired to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's really fun to interact with strangers, especially with people who belong to a totally different environment, a different culture and a different society.. And in the process, if you find like-minded people, it feels like heaven.. We're actually, unconsciously, looking for people who think the same way as us.. In other words, people who have the same thinking pattern as we do.. Mostly, we don't care about their cultural backgrounds and all..

    Your article made me smile coz I could feel the ambience of the airport where you were interacting with the couple.. And it feels really nice... :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete